The House of Pacific Relations (AKA International Cottages) was established for the 1935-36 California Pacific International Exposition and is a consortium of “houses” representing over 32 countries to promote multicultural goodwill and peace between nations through art, music, dance and food.
This expansion project required an amendment to the Balboa Park Master Plan and took more than a decade to complete. The project included the construction of nine new cottages, approximately 500 SF each, as well as landscape improvements to the adjacent grounds. The countries housed in the new cottages west of the Spreckels Organ Pavilion are: Korea, India, Peru, Chamorros, Palestine, Turkey, Panama, Mexico and Philippines.
The cottages are grouped within four new duplex buildings and one single cottage. Three of the duplexes are located at the south end of the historic grouping and one duplex and one cottage were added at the north end. Each of the buildings has a shared restroom and residential-style kitchen is provided for each tenant. Three of the five buildings have underground basements. The buildings were designed in the Spanish Eclectic style to be architecturally compatible with the existing historic cottages while incorporating different detailing to subtlety set them apart. Clay tile roofs, wood shutters, carved rafter tail and decorative wrought-iron are used throughout to provide the traditional Spanish charm that the International Cottages are known for.
2150 – 2180 Pan American Plaza, Balboa Park, CA
New International Cottages Committee (NICC)
Art Castro email@example.com
Heritage Architecture & Planning