RNT Architects provided comprehensive design services for the San Elijo Joint Powers Authority (SEJPA), beginning with a Preliminary Design Report through the ultimate construction of a new Headquarters facility. The final design:
- Re-visioned the facility as a “Water Campus” to foster research and development of future water purification strategies.
- Optimized efficiency for the day-to-day water treatment operations.
- Provided space for future growth and operational needs.
- Enhanced collaboration with the adjacent San Elijo Lagoon Nature Center.
- Fostered educational opportunities with the community engagement.
The new 14,500 SF two-story building consists of a public lobby, board chambers, administrative offices, work and training areas for plant operators and mechanics, and locker room facilities. Exterior enhancements include an entry plaza, parking, an outdoor lunch patio, a covered service area, landscaping, and site security fencing. The new facility consolidates all agency operational needs in one place while providing greater opportunities for public outreach and education.
The facility strengthens community connections by adding a regional multi-use trail, as well as 31 public parking spaces available for the adjacent Nature Center’s use. The increased public presence has enabled the SEJPA more engagement with the public to tell their story of water recycling and environmental stewardship.
2695 Manchester Avenue, Cardiff, CA 92007
San Elijo Joint Powers Authority
Mike Thornton/ Thornton@sejpa.org