We’re seeking some doers
There are plenty of ways to get involved. If you have special talent and skills, let us know. If you have the interest, but not a lot of experience, you’re also in the right place. Just send us a note and we can help to identify the best way you can help.
If one of our programs peaks your interest, then become a program volunteer. We are actively seeking volunteers to serve on program committees such as Orchids & Onions, BEEP, PechaKucha Night, Open House!, and Design Scholarships. If you love big picture thinking and can dive into the details, then this level of commitment is for you.
If you are more task oriented, then consider becoming an organization volunteer. We always have a need for willing people with skills in the following areas:
– Orchids & Onions is the only interactive, community-based program geared towards raising awareness and encouraging practical discourse in response to San Diego’s built environment. The success of the program relies heavily upon the citizens of San Diego; public nominations and feedback about the nominations published on the O&O website are a key feature of the dialog with industry professionals and City leaders. Established as an educational and fundraising program of SDAF, Orchids & Onions is a community-nominated, curated collection of San Diego’s latest and not always greatest architectural works.
– BEEP stands for Built Environment Education Program. As part of SDAF’s overarching mission, the program strives to inspire San Diego’s youth to discover the value of design in our built environment. BEEP San Diego is dedicated to educating and advocating for school-age youth as meaningful participants, leaders, and decision makers in crafting our local cities, neighborhoods, and parks.
– PechaKucha Night presentation format was created by Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham of Klein Dytham Architecture in 2003. It was planned as an event for (you guessed it) designers and creative types of all disciplines to meet, network, and showcase their work, and play, in public. PechaKucha Night occurs in hundreds of locations around the world. SDAF is pleased to serve as the San Diego’s official host chapter of PechaKucha Night.
– Open House! San Diego is a FREE, annual public engagement event providing all San Diegans rare behind-the-scenes access to, and in-depth information about, the architecture and design of dozens of carefully curated buildings and spaces in San Diego’s distinctive neighborhoods. It promotes awareness of San Diego’s urban environment to a diverse audience and sparks lively discussion about good planning and design and the critical issues facing San Diego.
– Design Scholarships. One of our favorite things is awarding deserving students with scholarships. Application timelines vary throughout the year. Please contact us to receive specific information regarding scholarships.